Tiropitakia – Rustic Mini Feta Cheese Pies
This Greek Meze is great for entertaining and the pastry is so easy to make. Serve as nibbles with drinks at parties, or pack as a snack in a packed lunch. They freeze well too, just defrost and pop them in a warm oven, and you’ll think they’re freshly baked.
Ingredients to make 38 Mini Cheese Pies
500g Self Raising Flour
250g Natural Greek Yoghurt
250g Extra Virgin Oil
Pinch of Salt
600g Feta Cheese
6 Egg Yolks
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 beaten egg to glaze
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the yoghurt, olive oil, egg and pinch of salt.
- Mix well with hand until all the ingredients bind together to resemble a ball of pastry, set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- Crumble the feta cheese and mix together with the egg yolks and add a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Line 3 large baking trays with baking parchment and turn the oven on to Gas Mark 6 / 200 C / 180 C fan
- Take a small bit of pastry and use your hands to roll into a small ball, about the size of a walnut. Flatten the ball with your palm, and use your fingers to press the dough into a small circle about 7cm in diameter.
- Fill each with a heaped teaspoon of filling and fold over to make a half-circle / half- moon shape, press the edges to seal (no need for any egg or water to seal edges). Place on the baking tray.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg. Bake at Gas 6 /200 C / 180 C fan for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.