500g unsalted butter, softened
500g caster sugar
8 free range eggs
60ml freshly squeezed orange juice
60ml fine cognac
500g self raising flour
Icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat oven Gas 4/180c/160c and line a 25cm round spring form cake tin and set aside.
- Place all ingredients except the coin and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth and combined.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and spread evenly with spatula then throw in the sterilised coin.
- Place on middle shelf in oven and bake for 45mins to 1 hour, can test when ready using knife by placing in centre of cake and if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Allow cake to stand for 10 minutes then take out of the cake tin and allow to cool on cooling rack.
- Sprinkle cake with icing sugar; can use a doily to create a lace effect. Cut and serve to family and friends; the person who finds the coin is said to be granted good luck for the year ahead.
Happy New Year!