Tapioca Pearls with Coconut Milk and Rice Balls
400ml coconut milk
100ml condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 litre of water
90g mini tapioca pearls
12 rice balls, can be purchased frozen from most Asian supermarkets
fresh fruit of choice
- Place 500ml of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Place the tapioca pearls into the saucepan at boiling point, stir and cover with a lid leaving it to boil for 18 minutes. Take off the heat, drain then run under cold water to prevent the pearls sticking together and set aside.
- Place remaining 500ml of water into same saucepan and bring to a boil then add the frozen rice balls and boil for 5 mins then simmer for a further 3 mins.
- While rice balls are boiling, in a separate saucepan add the coconut milk, fresh milk, condensed milk and vanilla extract. Stirring bring to a gentle boil then take of the heat and stir in the tapioca pearls.
- Take the rice balls of the heat, drain and add the rice balls to the milk mixture.
- Divide into 4 serving bowls and add fruit of choice such as diced mango, peaches or forest fruits.
This dessert can be eaten warm or chilled, enjoy!
I chose frozen rice balls as readily available from Asian supermarkets, however, they can be made following recipe below:
100g glutinous rice flour
60ml water (room temperature)
- Mix the glutinous rice flour and water together and knead until it becomes a soft ball of dough. A texture similar to play dough; if it crumbles add a dash of water.
- Shape the dough into 1/2 inch round balls. Cover the dough balls and with a towel or keep them in a container with a lid to keep them from drying out in the refrigerator of freezer until ready to use.